What is the Venture?
The Venture Retrocade is a standalone home retrogaming console built into a durable, portable, fully customizable arcade joystick.
Powered by an integrated Raspberry Pi microcomputer, the Venture features a strong custom chassis with professional-grade Sanwa competition arcade controls. A proprietary panel mount plate, also designed by Valley Arcade, allows the Pi’s various ports to be accessed easily from the exterior of the device.
The Venture can be personalized with your choice of artwork and colors to create your own theme. The artwork is protected by a transparent, impact-resistant cover installed over the entire control panel.
The Venture connects to your TV or computer display, and can play thousands of classic arcade and home console games, without the need for any additional hardware.
Everything you need to enjoy the fun and nostalgia of your favorite classic games is now possible with a single unified device.
What Can It Do?
The best-selling Raspberry Pi 3 B+ built into the Venture is a very capable and expandable microcomputer. With ample processing power and memory, onboard Wifi, Bluetooth connectivity, and 4 USB ports, the Pi 3 is the perfect compact gaming platform for playing your favorite vintage arcade and home console games.
The Venture connects to your TV or computer display using an HDMI cable for full-screen entertainment. It is portable, yet features full scale arcade controls for an authentic experience while playing vintage favorites like Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Galaga, Space Invaders, the Street Fighter series, and many thousands more.
Or if you prefer, you can play games like Super Mario Bros, Metroid, Sonic the Hedgehog, Castlevania, the Legend of Zelda series, and thousands of titles from classic home consoles like the original Nintendo Entertainment System, Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Sony Playstation, and more.
If you’re interested in vintage computer games and applications, you can even emulate classic computer systems like Microsoft DOS, Apple II, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga, and much more.
Or, with free apps like Kodi, the Venture can also be used as a full media entertainment center for TV shows, music, and movies.
But, why not do all of the above? With the Venture’s integrated hardware already in place, you’re well on your way toward a fun and exciting new hobby.
The Venture Retrocade is designed for the very popular RetroPie, which can be installed on the included micro-SD card. Just follow the official RetroPie setup instructions online, add your game roms, configure your controller, and within minutes you’ll be able to play thousands of your favorite vintage arcade and home console games.
And that’s just the beginning. The Venture isn’t just a retrogaming system; it’s an entire entertainment platform. The choices and flexibility are virtually limitless.
Some features of the Venture Retrocade MkI include:
- An integrated Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ microcomputer.
- Onboard Wifi and Bluetooth wireless connectivity.
- Genuine Sanwa arcade controls, arguably the best and most responsive professional-grade competition arcade controls available. Lighted LED arcade controls are also available.
- 1 joystick and 10 buttons, allowing tremendous flexibility for configuring your Venture as desired. For example, the 2 side buttons can be used to make playing pinball games feel more authentic.
- 4 USB slots for adding more controllers, a keyboard and mouse, or other accessories.
- Custom artwork which can be selected by the client. Visit our Cover Gallery for ideas, or submit your own image and we’ll build a custom theme for you.
- A durable impact-resistant acrylic cover over the control surface, ensuring the custom artwork layered underneath remains protected.
- A proprietary panel mount system which allows the Pi’s various ports to be accessed externally while maintaining a clean, professional look.
- A built-in power/reset button for use with Retropie’s GPIO safe shutdown script.
- Optional activity LED and 30mm fan included for overclocking if desired.
- 3.5mm audio jack can be used for speakers or a headset instead of HDMI audio.
- Upgraded 2-prong power adapter (U.S.). If needed, R-Pi adapters for use in other countries are inexpensive and widely available online.
- A compact unit that is stable and portable, yet has enough space to provide a comfortable control surface for both hands.
- A thick, rugged ABS plastic shell. Unlike the 3D-printed or laser cut builds found everywhere that are screwed or even glued together, the Venture’s strong enclosure is designed for industrial applications. The Venture is built to withstand those vigorous gaming sessions.
- The Venture Retrocade with integrated Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+
- Power adapter
- 64GB micro SD card
- User Guide
Note: The Venture requires an HDMI cable (not included). The Amazon Basics series of HDMI cables are inexpensive and good quality. I recommend getting one that is at least 10 feet long.
Besides a TV or monitor to play it on, no other hardware is needed.
The Venture Retrocade is carefully constructed with the best available components and controls, in a professional-quality home arcade system. The Venture is built for enthusiasts, by enthusiasts.
Please see our Valley Arcade Shop page for more information.