What is the Venture?
The Venture Retrocade is a Raspberry Pi 3 microcomputer built into and fully integrated with professional-grade Sanwa arcade controls. It connects to your TV or computer display via HDMI, and can play thousands of classic arcade and home console games, without the need for any additional hardware.
What Can It Do?
The included Raspberry Pi 3 is a very capable and highly expandable microcomputer. With ample processing power and memory, onboard Wifi, Bluetooth connectivity, and 4 USB ports, the Pi 3 is the perfect compact gaming platform for playing your favorite vintage arcade and home console games.
The Venture connects to your TV or computer display using an HDMI cable for full-screen entertainment. It is portable, yet features full scale arcade controls for an authentic experience while playing vintage favorites like Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Galaga, Space Invaders, the Street Fighter series, and many thousands more.
Or if you prefer, you can play games like Super Mario Bros, Metroid, Sonic the Hedgehog, Castlevania, the Legend of Zelda series, and thousands of titles from classic home consoles like the original Nintendo Entertainment System, Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Sony Playstation, and more.
If you’re interested in computer emulation, you can even run games from classic computer systems like Microsoft DOS, Apple II, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga, and much more.
Or, with free apps like Kodi, the Venture can also be used as a full media entertainment center for TV shows, music, and movies.
But, why not do all of the above? With the Venture’s integrated hardware already in place, you’re well on your way.
The Venture Retrocade was designed for the extremely popular RetroPie, which can be installed on the included micro-SD card. Just follow the official RetroPie setup instructions online, add your game roms, configure your controller, and within minutes you’ll be able to play thousands of your favorite vintage arcade and home console games.
And that’s just the beginning. The Venture isn’t just a retrogaming system; it’s an entire entertainment platform. The choices and flexibility are virtually limitless.
Some features of the Venture Retrocade MkI include:
- An integrated Raspberry Pi 3 Model B, a powerful and highly expandable microcomputer.
- Onboard Wifi and Bluetooth wireless connectivity.
- Genuine Sanwa arcade controls, arguably the best and most responsive professional arcade controls available. Lighted LED arcade controls are also available.
- 1 joystick and 10 buttons, allowing tremendous flexibility for configuring your Venture as desired. For example, do you like pinball games? The buttons on either side were placed there to be able to enjoy the many great pinball games released over the years with a much more authentic feel.
- 4 USB slots for adding more controllers, a keyboard and mouse, or other accessories.
- Custom artwork layered underneath the acrylic cover which can be selected or customized by the client. Visit our Cover Gallery for ideas, or submit your own image and we’ll build a custom theme for you.
- A durable scratch-resistant acrylic cover over the control surface, ensuring the custom artwork underneath remains protected.
- A proprietary panel mount system which allows the Pi’s various ports to be accessed externally while maintaining a clean, professional look.
- A built-in power/reset button for use with Retropie’s GPIO safe shutdown script.
- Optional activity LED and 30mm fan included for overclocking if desired.
- 3.5mm audio jack can be used for speakers or a headset instead of HDMI audio.
- US 2-prong power adapter. If needed, R-Pi adapters for use in other countries are inexpensive and widely available online.
- A compact unit that is stable and portable, yet has enough space to provide a comfortable control surface for both hands.
- A thick, rugged ABS plastic shell. Unlike the 3D-printed or laser cut builds found everywhere that are screwed or even glued together, the Venture’s strong casing is designed for industrial applications. The Venture is durable and built to withstand those vigorous gaming sessions.
- The Venture Retrocade with integrated Raspberry Pi 3 Model B
- Power adapter
- 32GB micro SD card
Note: The Venture requires an HDMI cable (not included). The Amazon Basics series of HDMI cables are inexpensive and good quality. I recommend getting one that is at least 10 feet long.
Besides a TV or monitor to play it on, no other hardware is needed.
To purchase a Venture Retrocade or any of our available items, please visit our Etsy shop: